Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mud and...snow?

This is some kind of winter we're having here in Portland. Ten days of sunshine followed by another dusting of snow. I naively decided to do a trail run today, seeing as how everything had melted around the house. I figured light rain and snow overnight would make for damp but not particularly muddy trails up in the West Hills. I was mildly surprised to find a full two inches of snow still clinging to the log barriers at the parking lot for Birch Trail, and Wildwood was muddy where it wasn't practically snowpack.
Sure was gorgeous though. The sun lit up the city through the trees like you rarely see, a beautiful view, and as I was running I realized one that you would only see in winter; in the summer, the same view would be obscured by leaves. And once I was warmed up it really wasn't that cold. Pretty nice all in all...
Sunday, 1/25- 58:27 easy out and back on Wildwood Trail

No comments: